GSO Test

GSO Test

We are a Co-operative Multi-Academy Trust, with six member schools within the Essex area.

Visit Site

SEN & Inclusion

We hope you will enjoy reading about the variety of ways in which Doddinghurst C of E Junior School is able to support SEND pupils to reach their full potential.  The school is an inclusive school which ensures that pupils are included in all aspects of learning and school life.  Our SEND Information report describes the range of provision and support available. 

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs/Disability (SEND)?

The Class Teacher 

The class teacher will skilfully identify and plan for the child’s needs providing a range of tailored support and interventions following High Quality Teaching (HQT).If the child’s needs are more specific, the teacher will refer this to the school’s SEN team to monitor and assess.Parents will be involved in the whole process and if a need is identified, the staff will work very closely in order to achieve the best outcome.   He/ She is responsible for:

  • Ensuring that all children have access to good/outstanding teaching and that the curriculum is adapted to meet your child’s individual needs (also known as differentiation).

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support, adapting resources etc) and discussing amendments with the SENCO as necessary.

  • Writing learning targets and sharing and discussing these with parents at least once each term at (parent consultations) and planning for the next term.

  • Ensuring that all members of staff working with your child in school are aware of your child’s individual needs and/or conditions and what specific adjustments need to be made to enable them to be included and make progress.

  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are supported in delivering the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.

  • Ensuring that the school’s Inclusion/SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.


Mrs De Asha

Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs (SEN) and or disabilities, and developing the school’s Inclusion/SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school. Ensuring that you are:-

  • involved in supporting your child’s learning

  •  kept informed about the support your child is getting

  •  involved in reviewing how they are doing

  • part of planning ahead for them.

  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc...

  • Updating the school’s SEN records and making sure that there are up to date details of your child’s progress and needs.

  • To provide specialist support for Teachers and support staff in the school so they can help your child (and other pupils with SEN and/or disabilities in the school) to achieve their potential.

  • Supporting your child’s class Teacher to write learning targets for your child to achieve.

  • Organising training for staff so they are aware and confident about how to meet the needs of your child and others within our school.


Teaching Assistants 

Teaching Assistant (TA) may be allocated to a pupil with exceptional special educational needs and/or disabilities and whilst they take a very valuable role in your child’s education we would prefer that questions regarding your child’s learning and progress are directed to the children's teacher or Mrs De Asha. Of course, as a school we welcome daily dialogue between parents and LSAs on how a child’s day has been and we do actively encourage this continued feedback when appropriate. 



Mr Davies is responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEN and/or disabilities.

  • He will give responsibility to the SENCO and class/subject Teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.

  • He must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEN.

SEND Governor  

Ms Kim McWilliams is responsible for:

  • Making sure that the school has an up to date Inclusion/SEN Policy

  • Making sure that the school has appropriate provision and has made necessary adaptations to meet the needs of all children in the school

  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEN and/or disabilities.

  • Making visits to understand and monitor the support given to children with SEN in the school and being part of the process to ensure your child achieves his/her potential in school.



What are the different types of support available for children with SEN and /or disabilities at Doddinghurst C of E Junior School?


Types of support

What would this mean for your child?

Who can get this type of support?

Class, Set or Group Teacher input via good/outstanding classroom teaching.

The Teacher will have the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class and will aim to deliver differentiated, high quality teaching to all pupils in the first instance.

Where learning difficulties arise the Teacher will refer to the Essex Provision Guidance Toolkit and SEND handbook  for recommendations in how to support a child in the initial stages of identifying their needs.

  • All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

  • Putting in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning or providing different resources adapted for your child.

Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or staff from outside agencies) to enable your child to access the learning task and progress.

All children in school receive this.

Specific small group work/ Intervention groups

Your child’s Teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to close the gap between your child and their peers.

  • He/ She will plan group sessions for your child with targets to help your child to make more progress.

  • A Teaching Assistant/Teacher will run these small group sessions using the Teacher’s plans, or a recommended programme.

The resources we would access could include:

Gym Trail, Numicon, Musical communication, Black sheep tools, Social story/skills programme, phonics teaching, additional reading programmes, Precision Monitoring, memory skills and speech and language programmes.

Any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.


Some of the children accessing intervention groups may be at the stage where they have been identified by the class Teacher as needing some extra support in school.

Specialist groups run by outside agencies.

This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services such as the ASD Team or Visual support or Hearing Impaired

  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service, Occupational therapy service, Physiotherapy and/or Emotional Wellbeing and Mental Health Services (EWMHS)

If your child has been identified as needing more specialist input instead of, or in addition to, good and outstanding class room teaching and intervention groups, referrals will be made to outside agencies to advise and support the school in enabling your child to make progress.

Before referrals are made we will discuss your child’s progress with you and together we will plan possible ways forward.

If it is agreed that the support of an outside agency is a way forward, you will be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better.

The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:-

  • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better

  • Support to set targets which will include their specific professional expertise

  • Your child’s involvement in a group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group.

  • A group or individual work with outside professional

The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed

Children whose learning needs are:

  • Severe, complex and lifelong

  • Need for an EHCP assessment.


How will we support your child with identified special needs who is starting at our school?

We will invite you to visit the school with your child to have a look around and speak to staff. If other professionals are involved, we will meet them or contact them to discuss your child’s needs, share strategies, and ensure provision is put in place before your child starts.Depending on your child’s needs we may suggest transition visits or adaptations to the settling in period to help your child to settle more easily.If your child is to have a key person involved we will arrange times when they can meet you and your child to get to know each other.

When your child moves to the next Key Stage, transition meetings with the new setting can be arranged.


How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

The parents of all children are involved both formally and informally in their learning.  We have an open door policy to allow parents to speak directly to class teachers and SENDco.

If you have concerns about your child’s progress, you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.  A school is a busy place so it is best to book an appointment with the teacher in order to avoid any disappointment. 

If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the:

SENCO or Head Teacher.

If you are still not happy you can speak to the school SEN Governor.


How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

When a teacher or a parent has raised concerns about your child’s progress, and targeted teaching has not met the child’s needs, the teacher will raise this with the SENCO. Our school also has pupil progress meetings every half-term between each class teacher and a senior staff member in the school to ensure all children are making good progress. This is another way your child may be identified as not making as much progress as expected. We use Target Tracker as a way of measuring progress.

If your child is then identified as not making progress the school will make a decision about whether to monitor this or set up an intervention group and will inform you if necessary.

Parents and carers will be invited to attend meetings to discuss their child’s progress. These meetings will give you the chance to contribute to the current provision in place to make sure that it is still appropriate.  We hold regular (termly) meetings to monitor the plan and make changes, when necessary.  It is vital that parents and carers work closely with the school in order for the pupil to achieve their learning potential. Please remember, you are free to speak to the class teacher or SENCo about your child’s needs.  Just make sure you arrange an appointment to avoid any disappointment. 


How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels?

The school budget, includes money for supporting children with SEND.

  • The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs in consultation with the School Governors, on the basis of the needs of the children currently in the school.

  • The Head Teacher and the SENCO discuss all the information they have about SEN in the school, including:-

  • the children getting extra support already

  • the children needing extra support

  • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected

and decide what resources/training and support is needed. All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.


How are the adults in school helped to work with children with an SEND and what training do they have?

The SENCO’s job is to support the class Teacher in planning for children with SEN.

The school has a school development plan, including identified training needs for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This may include whole school training on SEND issues or to support identified groups of learners in school, such as ASD, dyslexia etc.

Whole staff training to disseminate knowledge, strategies and experience, to ensure consistency of the school’s approach for children with SEND.

Individual Teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. from the ASD Outreach service, and Sensory service or medical /health training to support staff in implementing care plans


How will the teaching be adapted for my child with learning needs ? (SEN/ and or disabilities)

Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that learning tasks are adjusted in order to enable your child to learn as independently as possible.

  • Specially trained support staff can implement the Teachers modified/adapted planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.

  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.( Access plan including disabled toilets, Equality Plan, Behaviour charts/rewards, Visual timetables, Left-handed scissors, Writing slope, Finger Gym & Gym Trail resources, wide range of reading materials, Interactive Whiteboards, Social stories, Coloured overlays.)

  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs and increase your child’s access to what is on offer.

How will we measure the progress of your child in school? And how will you know about this?

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class Teacher.

  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every term and a Grade/P scale / EYFS level  in reading, writing, maths and science as well as progress in other areas, as appropriate, such as attendance, engagement in learning and behaviour.

  • If your child is not yet achieving expectations in The National Curriculum, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress. The levels are called ‘P scales’.

  • At the end of each key stage all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and the results are published nationally.

  •  All children at the school have learning targets. The parents of children with an Additional Need or High Needs can request an extra opportunity each term to discuss their children’s learning targets and progress with the Teacher and SENCO and plan for the future.

  • The progress of children with a statement of SEN/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education present. In addition the child will be invited to attend if they and the parents wish so that they are able to give their views regarding targets and progress.

  • The SENCO will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

A range of ways will be used to keep you informed, which may include: Home/school book, letters/certificates sent home, additional meetings as required, reports,  rewards and celebrations.


What support do we have for you as a parent of child with an SEN/and or disabilities?


We invite you to talk to your child’s class Teacher  regularly so we know what you are doing at home and we can tell you about what we are doing in school. This is to ensure that we are doing similar things and can share what is working in both places. If you wish to see the class Teacher you can book an appointment through the school office.

The SENCO (or Head Teacher) is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/ worries you may have.

  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you by the person involved directly, or

where this is not possible, in a report. The SENCO is available to meet with you to discuss any new assessments and ideas suggested by outside agencies for your child and will always seek your involvement in matters of concern.

  • You will have an extra opportunity each term to discuss your children’s learning targets and progress with the Teacher/ or SENCO
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

In addition: If your child is undergoing an EHCP assessment you will also be supported by the Children’s Services SEN Team. They will ensure that you fully understand the process.


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom?

At Doddinghurst C of E Junior School we have a range of after school and lunchtime clubs which are available for all children to attend which may include Sports, Gardening and Dance depending upon expertise of staff available and time of year.


How have we made this school physically accessible to children with SEND?

The school is accessible to children with physical disability via ramps  and the school setting is all on one level. We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs. The school has a disabled toilet with an adjustable changing facility.


How will we support your child when they are leaving this school? Or moving on to another class?


We recognise that ‘moving on’ can be difficult for a child with SEN/and or disabilities and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible. If your child is moving to another school, we will contact the new school’s SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. We will also make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible and arrange for staff who have worked with your child to meet new staff.

When moving classes in school:-

Information, including learning targets, will be passed on to the new class Teacher in advance.

  • For children with EHCP and more complex needs, there will be a planning meeting and / or specific preparation or training for the new Teacher and / or support staff.
  • If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.

For those children who might find moving on difficult may be invited to attend their new school to support their understanding of the changes ahead. This may include creating a ‘Personal Profile’ which includes information about themselves for their new school.

Where understanding might be difficult, your child may be invited by their new school to visit on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.